Saturday, February 9, 2008

Modern Women in Media


My Good Friend Courtney does a blog titled "Modern Women in Media," in which she discusses the different roles women play in the Entertainment Industry. She started it for one of her classes she is taking and I was reading over it one day and she was discussing a few moments that we both got to experience recently. And I just wanted to comment on a few things because I have ALOT to say in this area of things...

First of all, she talks about how networking is done differently from men and women. And moreso in the sense that it is essentially easier for a woman to network than men. I believe this to be true because (1) the industry is male-dominated and that creates a couple of different scenarios for women. A pretty face and/or body will always get you noticed, whether it was your intention or not. I can't tell you how many times I have been offered things just because somebody thought I was cute or because my hair is long and its actually real. But while that is one advantage on a woman's part as far as networking, it is at the same time a disadvantage, because you want to be respected for your work, and not your ass, or titties.

Then theres the term "groupie," which I ultimately define as someone who is trying to get something from somebody else. This is a very general definition because the typical groupies that are referenced are usually about sex, but then you can have "groupies" who want attention, love, fame, free stuff, or whatever. I know my friend can relate because we've been called groupies SO MANY TIMES in so many different situations. Courtney talked about a story where a guy we knew had just finished performing onstage and he was trying to get one of our phones to give him our number so we could maybe meet up with him afterwards, and like 10 girls behind us started handing him their phones and we had to kept screaming to him that those were not our phones. And I didn't hear the comment about the girl congratulating her because he told her that he'd just see us backstage, but that was not surprising. Cause of course we couldn't just be cool with him. It had to be some type of groupie shit going on RIGHT?...

Which moves me to my next subject of women thinking that its okay to sleep your way to the top. ITS NOT...NEVER HAS BEEN, NEVER WILL BE. Because lets say you suck and fuck any and everybody with any type of clout and "make it" to the position you want, NO ONE WILL RESPECT YOU. Because I know for a fact, the talking and gossiping and shit you THOUGHT you left in High School will reappear and everyone will have heard of you and your actions somehow. But I can't say that I don't respect women like Karrine Steffans (Superhead) because even though she is the prime example of sleeping your way to the top, she is real about it. She does not try to be anybody but herself, and Im an advocate for doing what YOU wanna do in life. But then women like her do ruin it for other women who want to try and do things the RIGHT WAY- working hard to achieve the things they want in life without getting handouts from people they've fucked.

Well I had more to write but as Im typing this, Im also watching a movie and it just got good and I got completely sidetracked. So therefore, I will continue this another time. And shoutout to Courtney. If you ever read this, Im glad you let up on Kid Sister. I mean Damn, you may not like her voice, and even though you think she really adds nothing to hip-hop music, she is doing alot better than the Lil Kims, the Remy Mas, and the Trinas who are definitely only fueling the fire that is really the cause of the "death" of women in Hip-Hop.

Seventeen Daily Freebie