Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Funny Conversation

My mother and I are constantly having conversations about school and the politics surrounding it. We were in Golden Corral, and she was telling me the usual "You have to finish school, I don't care what you do with your life but you have to finish." And I annoyed her with my usual sarcasticness (lol)...

My Mom: "I should have been hard on you and made you do stuff like everybody else does their kids"

Me: "A little too late now, don't you think?"

My Mom: "How did you get this way? You have no respect for how things work"

Me: "I'm a Rasta"

LMAO...And when I said that, she flipped. LOL. Because she knows I don't care and she hates it. But she is more worried that Im going to be a bum for the rest of my life. And I understand what she is saying because at this moment in my life I am being a bum. But I think everybody goes through a period where they have to find themselves and blah blah blah. I know what I want to do, but in order to do that I know what I have to do. Like the quote from "Great Debaters"- Do what you have to do, to do what you want to do. I understand that, but more and more each day Im become more and more disgusted with how things are.

I was thinking about W.E.B. Dubois and Double Conciousness the other day, and I swear I try to live that way but its so hard when how things around me are so fucked up. For instance, my aunt is paying to take all these classes so she can get a masters degree so she can get a raise in pay. She is basically paying for her raise. Thousands of dollars for some bullshit classes that have nothing to do with the work that she is doing. I know this because she has asked me to help her with some of the work. Its all about money. School is about money. Thats it. Its not about learning for the sake of learning. Nobody goes to school because they want to take tests, and learn about shit they don't really care about. They go in the hopes that having a degree will allow them to get a better job and make more money. Which is fine.

Another conversation with my mother...

Me: I guess Im destined to do something I hate for the rest of my life...

My Mom: I thought you were destined to be a secretary...

Me: I am. But now they want you to have a degree to answer a phone and take messages. I wonder if they have trade schools for secretaries, so I can finish in 2 years instead of 4.

My Mom: (sigh)

No comments:

Seventeen Daily Freebie