Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Friends vs. Family

One thing I can say about family and friends is they both will try to take advantage of you. Family mainly because they know you, and friends mainly because they don't.

And when you peep them taking advantage of you, and still let it happen, they think shit sweet. But as soon as you call them out on it, just for 'I see what you up to" purposes, they either try to laugh it off, or get mad at you for exposing them.

My family will be quick to be like, yeah we came along cause we knew you was gonna pay. But my friends will be like, I can't believe you would even think that about me.

And I just laugh because clearly if you kept it real with yourself and me, you would at least give me the family response and I could respect that. I lose all everything for people who want me to go along with their bullshit just because we are friends. That friend shit don't mean anything to me at the end of the day. Majority of my friends, I treat like family anyway. So if you just a friend, and you fucking up, its nothing to walk away. I don't have to see you. I don't have to talk to you. I don't have to do anything. Family are the only people I feel obligated to and even some of them get the friend, or even worse, stranger treatment. I deal with people accordingly. If you act like you don't give a fuck about me, I will stop giving a fuck about you. If you act like you could care less about me, then I will care less about you. Shit very simple in my world.

I guess at the end of the day I have issues with certain people expecting me to be a friend to them, but when it comes time to being a friend to me, I'm supposed to understand everything they going through and the reason behind why they can't perform their role as my friend as they should. But again, true friends don't play roles. I'm not an actress. I'm a human being with feelings. So when you fake on your role, its not just an acting misstep to me. Its real. It means you never fully committed to being my real friend to me. Which means you never really committed to me. Which means we never was really friends. More like associates. More like co-workers. More like two people who ride the train together every morning and have a 10 minute conversation each day. These people are a part of your lives, but they do not make up your life. They can be replaced. They are interchangeable. Those roles could be filled by anybody. Everybody can't be a true friend. Because that role requires being authentic and genuine. You can't fake that shit. And a circumstantial friend always reveals themselves, in due time.


No comments:

Seventeen Daily Freebie