Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Four Years Later

Still No Degree and still loathing "the college experience." I feel kinda bad because I fucked up and could actually be a college graduate at this very moment. But then on the other hand, none of my friends who did graduate have official jobs, and some no job at all. One of my friends paid more than 100,000 (in loans that she will have to pay back) for her degree, and through a series of unfortunate events, is back to living at home. No Job and an $100,000 degree that is not really helping her at all right now. Most people I know that graduated are working jobs that they could have gotten whether they were college graduates or not.

And today I wished I cared a little more about my post secondary education because back in high school, going to college, was just the next step. I didn't really care where I went because I ultimately didn't know anything about any of the schools I applied for, so if didn't matter to me one way or another. I chose the school I went to because I got accepted early and ended up doing everything I needed for it early in the game. I was lazy and ultimately I just really didn't care. I was probably one form away from going to another college. A college now, I wish I had went to because I could have definitely graduated from there on time, NO QUESTION.

And if I cared a little more I would have realized that the traditional college experience is not for me. After reading about the Art Institutes, and the newly opened one in my state, I would have and should have definitely gone there. That is my type of school. It is centered around a specific trade (i.e. Design, Fashion, Culinary, Media, etc.) and it would have been a school that I could have stayed interested in because I get to chose specifically what I want to do. As opposed to having to chose a major that I don't really like forreal, and won't really guarantee me a job in that field, or a job period. Not saying that the Art Institute will guarantee me anything, but at least I won't feel like I wasted 4 years of my life bullshitting around trying to please everyone else.

Its time for a change. I'm always talking about doing what makes you happy and forgetting about everybody else. Its about time I listened to my own advice right??? RIGHT. And speaking of that, I started my advice books. Tentatively titled "# of things I WISH somebody told me" and "The People You NEVER want to be in life." Or something like that. Just books speaking from my experience. Everybody has advice books. I think I give good advice, so hey, why not?

2 comments:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

start your own business and if u desire to go to grad school do it

brandi said...

OMG! I swear we are the same person...I swear! I went through the same thing...I started out at a University...partied two years of my life away...wasted two more then ended up in a Design Academy. I still regret some of my decisions because I would have a degree by now if I would have made the right choices in the first place. You are a very artistic person(as am I)...and it always seems like people like us can never really get a grip on what it is we are REALLY supposed to do in life...at least thats the way I see it. I agree with Torrance...I say start your own Business...thats what Im trying to do now. Things will get better though...just dont give up:)

Seventeen Daily Freebie