Thursday, September 18, 2008

A sentence from my Social Problems textbook

"Both Latinas and African Americans women are more likely than white women to work in service occupations such as private household workers. Although private household work has become less common among African American women in the last two decades..."

It made me think about the time I was looking for a job and someone at Career Services at my school suggested that I apply for one of the numerous housekeeper jobs located throughout the town where my school is located. The conversation went something like this...

Counselor: "There are alot of housekeeper positions that you could apply for."

Me: "Housekeeper, as in maid?"

Counselor: "Well....yes."

Me: (laugh) naw thats aight. I'll just starve.

I was NOT that desparate for a job, and I never will be. She must have been crazy if she thought I was gonna be cleaning up after some white people everyday. She must have never heard the details of slavery. I refuse to partake in any slave-like activities. Martin Luther King fought too hard for me to be working as a maid in some white persons house.

1 comment:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

my counselors told me i wouldnt be shit


have a great weekend jones

Seventeen Daily Freebie